We finally got the helmets!
First impressions are good and the fit feels comfortable (for the 10 minutes I stood around in store with it on). We brought them home and immediately did an inventory. I think that we got what we supposed to, except that my helmet didn’t have the ventilation bit on the chin piece :cry Two pinlocks were included, I’m happy to say. The instruction booklet is comprehensive, but the photo quality is dark and the text is hard to read (or I’m getting old)
Pinlock: I’m not even sure what the discussion is about regarding this. What we received are the standard pin lock system that we’ve had for all of our other helmets. Anyway, it was installed without issue and fits the same as any other pin lock.
We then did the arduous task of moving our Senas from the old helmets – god, I hate this stuff. End result: transfer complete and with overall success. It is a little awkward when clipping the unit onto the base on the helmet, as the undulations on the helmet keep it from being a smooth fit. We still need to do some further investigation as to sound quality and microphone placement, but it looks positive.
And now, some pictures:
The new NEXX and my old Arai XD
Arrangement of stuff. I like the visor sleeve that was provided
The helmet, fresh out of the box
Me, sporting the new lid
Internal sun visor – deployed!
The husband showing off his helmet
Tomorrow will be a day ride where we can give the helmets a much better test ride and put them through their paces.
After the ride we had the following comments to make:
We went out for about five hours today in a mix of motorways and country roads. Temps ranged from 7-16C and the sky was bright. Since we both were enjoying the new helmets, I put together both of our opinions:
– raved about how absolutely silent the helmet was
– complained about the sizing (a little too big); came home and installed some of the spare padding provided and says “it’s better”
– great field of view
– tinted visor “ok”
– light weight
– excessively long chin strap
– my windscreen sucks and it doesn’t help keep down the wind noise, so I’m still complaining about it 🙁 (this has been true no matter what helmet I wear while riding the F800)
– left ear doesn’t fit properly – there’s a weird bit of pressure. Nothing earth-shattering, but mildly annoying. Not sure how to fix it.
– Senas work really well inside, but wish there was a better way of mounting the base (maybe there is; we haven’t had time to investigate too much)
– drop down visor: almost too light tint and I keep having trouble finding the mechanism to drop/raise it
– no wind pull with the bill, even with the extension or sideways head turns
– when clear visor is lifted, it is completely out of line of vision
– fit goes further down the neck, causing some trouble when turning my neck for extreme over-the-shoulder looks (might just take getting used to)
Overall, we’re pleased. I think that most of the issues are small or we just haven’t tried hard enough to overcome. I plan on visiting TT this spring to test out a windscreen extender to hopefully reduce the wind noise.